Frequently Asked Questions for International Students

How do I get an application for admission?

You must complete the Graduate School online application. The application fee for international applicants is $95 and must be paid by credit card.

What are The Graduate School and graduate program admission requirements?

The minimum credentials required for applying for admission to The Graduate School are an application form, an application fee, and official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. However, most graduate programs will have additional requirements that may include standardized test scores (eg. GRE, GMAT), letters of recommendation, a personal statement, or a course paper you have written. For information on specific graduate program requirements check the program's web site.

What are The Graduate School English language requirements?

The Graduate School standard for English language proficiency for international students is a computer TOEFL® score of 213 (550 on the paper-based test), or 79 in Internet-based TOEFL® Test (iBT) with at least 21 in writing and 19 in reading or a MELAB score of 80, or an IELTS score of 6.5, but a number of programs have higher minimums. Read more information on language requirements.

What are The Graduate School and graduate program application deadlines?

The overall Graduate School deadlines for applying are:

  • June 15 for fall semester
  • October 15 for spring semester
  • March 15 for summer session

However, application deadline for Conservation Biology Graduate Program is December 15 for fall semester . More information is available on the Graduate School's website.

How many apply and how many are admitted to the graduate program in which I'm interested?

For application statistics (including average GRE scores) go to the graduate programs web page ( ) and select “Program Statistics”.

What are Graduate School tuition and fees?

Tuition for most international students for the 2013-2014 academic year for full-time study is $24,062. Twelve graduate programs have higher tuition. In addition, mandatory student fees and health insurance cost range from $1,300-$3,500. Click here for latest tution rates.

What type of financial aid is available and how do I apply?

The most common financial aid is through graduate assistantships. These are usually 25% or 50% positions that require doing teaching or research under the direction of a faculty member. In addition to the assistantship salary, tuition is covered at the rate of twice the percentage of the assistantship. For example, a 50% assistant is given 100% of tuition. The University also covers up to 95% of an assistant's health insurance costs. Individual graduate programs award assistantships. Fellowships at The Graduate School and program level are also available as financial aid. The Graduate School Fellowship requires nomination by your major program.

What is the cost of living?

In 2009-2010 the minimum cost of living for one year is $14,500. This assumes a lifestyle that includes shared lodging, modest meals, and few amenities. It does not include the cost of clothing, automobile expenses, or long distance travel.

What types of housing are available?

On-campus housing options are limited, but there are a few single rooms designated for graduate students in residence halls and apartments, and two apartment complexes for students with families. Off-campus housing in apartments and rooming houses is the popular choice for graduate students. For more information go to the Housing and Residential Life website.